Summer is here! And here is our official summer bucket list – and some we’ve already been able to cross off. Being in a brand new city means tons of new things to explore and do but it also means it takes a bit more effort to find ideas but we’re learning where to look. This list is a mix of places to go and see around Baltimore/DC plus some other quintessential summertime musts no matter where you live. I don’t expect to do all 41 but at least it gives us an idea on where to start. There is no boredom allowed this time of year!
- Picnic on the Smithsonian lawn.
- Visit the B&O Railroad update: half done. We visited the one in Baltimore but there’s also one in Ellicott City that the Davises must meet.
- Tour the White House.
- Make new friends and invite to dinner.
- Take a boat tour.
Visit the aquarium. Go see the monster truck show.
- Cheers on the Orioles at Camden Yards.
- Find a beach (Ocean City? Recommendations welcome).
- Buy bikes and find the best trail (Patapsco Valley State Park?).
- Go on a star spangled tour.
- Visit the Maryland Zoo.
- Find a concert at the Merriweather Post Pavillion amphitheater. Go to it.
Go to the Maryland Science Center.
- Visit Port Discovery.
- Visit New York and our favorite Nebraskan-turn-NYCer.
- Tour Fort McHenry? Not sure if the kids would be up for this.
- Visit the Edgar Allan Poe house + Westminster hall and burial ground (Mom, looking at you!)
- Hit up the Star Spangled Banner Flag House in Little Italy.
- Visit Arlington Cemetery.
- Visit the National Archives.
- Check out the Bureau of Engraving & Printing (where money is made).
- Visit the National Zoo in DC (which is hopefully better than the National Aquarium!).
- Scope out the organic food & crafts at the Eastern Market in DC.
- Watch horse races in Columbia.
- Go incognito at the National Spy Museum in DC.
- Go to DuPont circle & people watch.
- Sleep under the stars.
- Have a water balloon fight.
- Go fishing.
- Have a “yes” day. All questions answered with yes.
- Watch a sunset together.
- Play in the rain.
- Lay in the grass and find shapes in the clouds.
- Grow something in a pot. Keep it alive.
- Make a family yearbook.
- Catch lightening bugs.
- Find a spot to kayak/canoe.
- Make homemade ice cream.
- Turn our house into a diaper-free zone.
Any other things you love to do that we should add to the list??